A bit of history
The ancient EQUILIUM, was a small lagoon centre in the late Roman era, which had strong economic fortune during the barbaric invasions, when the Veneto populations from inland took refuge in the numerous little lagoon islands of Eraclea, Marzabotto, Rialto, Torcello and Equilio itself (or JESOLUM as it is sometimes called in the ancient writings), to escape from the widespread looting.
The population of the city of Equilio grew around the 5th-6th century AD. It became an episcopal seat and a Paleochristian basilica was built there between the 10th and 11th century AD of which unfortunately not much remains.
Due to the unhealthy air and gradual silting up of the surrounding lagoon, it was slowly abandoned until about the 15th century, a period in which the large plumbing works conducted by the “Serenissima”Venetian Republic began, and a small village was built, called CAVAZUCCHERINA.Among great difficulties, the village slowly grew and underwent further development during the large reclamation works at the start of the 20th century, but was destroyed during the First World War (1915-1918).
After the Great War, the slow reconstruction began and in 1930 it was renamed JESOLO.The mass seaside tourism discovery began around that time, which developed greatly over the 1950s and 1960s until the present day, making it one of the top tourist destinations.